!o!

Friday, January 29, 2010

Stakes is High

...Soul, De La Soul that is....

man, De La Soul is without a doubt one of the best hip hop groups of all time, not debate-able, if not MY personal #1 favorite. The album Stakes Is High was both influential upon myself and growing up in New York but on generations of MC's and producers alike. and while for me that was the beginning of the end of their true greatness as I never really got into ArtOfficial Intelligence, ever time I hear any song from Stakes Is High, I'm brought back to simpler times, rolling around New York with friends in high school, getting into enough trouble, shopping at Canal Jean Co for Manhattan Portage Bags, going to West Broadway to check out any bits of new shops or even just hanging out at the 7-11 parking lot.

Being that my grandparents lived in Long Island my whole life (via Brooklyn) I always had such a connection to 'Strong Island' as De La so put it. It was that and the fact that my brother's lifelong commitment to being an Islander fan probably.

And while to most people, including myself, 3 Feet High and Rising IS the De La album that may have helped change your life, do yourself a favor. If you have Stakes Is High, put it on today. I have and I couldn't feel better. If you don't have it, find it. Download it, buy it, or burn it from someone who does have it.

I know this isn't an actual video, but its the AUDIO that matters....



Is Strong Island for real???

oh yes, yes it is.

No comments: